Re: Guile 1.8.7 - Licenses

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Guile 1.8.7 - Licenses
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:27:43 +0100

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden writes:
>
>> In the file LICENSE is written:
>> "Guile is covered under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
>> License, version 2.1. ..."
>
> Roughly, libguile itself and supporting modules under ‘ice-9’ are all
> LGPL.  Those other files you found as GPL’d are either build-support
> programs, standalone programs, or test programs, which is fine.
>
>>     Remove or remove and re-write or ask to the copyright holder of
>> the file inet_aton.c (guile-1.8.7/libguile/) to remove the 3º clause.
>
> This one is problematic.  Bruno Haible suggests that we should be using
> ‘inet_pton’ to get both IPv4 and IPv6 support, so we should just do this
> (in 1.9 at least).
>
> Out of curiosity, do you have a script to generate such reports?  I’d be
> interested in it, and perhaps it’d be a useful addition to Gnulib.

There is a "licensecheck" Perl script in the Debian package
"devscripts", which attempts to do this. I've used it when packaging
libunistring for Debian -- it got many files right, but you still need
to manually verify and extend the results.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>