Re: Guile web page docs

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile web page docs
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 23:25:00 +0100

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I noticed that the docs on the Guile web pages are a bit out of date.
>> The 1.8 ones are behind those in 1.8.7 (the latest release).
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/index.html appears to
> correspond to 1.8.7.

Yes, but amusingly this copy of the manual is only linked from the
"support for many SRFIs" link on
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html, and from inside Daniel's
tutorial.

If you follow the more prominent links from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/, you get to
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/index.html,
which is still at version 1.8.1.

So, anyway, I think we agree that this needs sorting out!

> (BTW, Gnulib has a new script to automate updates to
> www.gnu.org/software/PROJECT/manual.)

Right; I assume you mean gendocs.sh.

>> Would anyone object if we added a 1.9/2.0 set, and updated all these to
>> correspond to the latest available (i.e. from CVS/Git) in each release
>> series?
>
> I hadn't done it so far, mostly because 1.9 is alpha, and I think
> gnu.org/software/guile/manual should point to the current stable series.
> That said, perhaps we could put them in a sub-directory.

Yes, that's what I had in mind, linked from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html.

Do you have strong views on whether we should use current Git or the
latest pre-release?  I don't think it matters much, and current Git is
marginally easier.

Regards,
        Neil