Re: Status on Elisp and special variable handling

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Status on Elisp and special variable handling
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:05:54 -0400

On Oct 6, 2009, at 16:05, Daniel Kraft wrote:
If any such value is hit when reading/setting a variable, we do the needed stuff for handling aliases/foolocal variables instead of doing the operation directly. While this should work, I fear that it hits performance once again... But I do not see how we could implement aliases and foolocal variables without checking on each variable access if it is some special variable or not? Maybe there we could add VM support if necessary.

In the multithreaded case, I think the checks might need to be done every time -- one thread could call make-variable-foo-local while another thread is in between two accesses to the variable within a function. And you also need to watch out for updating what was a non- foo-local variable in one thread while another makes the variable foo- local...

Ken