Re: SCM_DEBUG and developer builds

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: SCM_DEBUG and developer builds
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:43:13 +0100

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a suggestion: Let's set SCM_DEBUG=1 by default for the 1.9.x
> series.

[...]

> Thoughts?

You didn't say why - but I presume it's because things are already
broken, and you think they should be fixed up, or because you think
SCM_DEBUG things are very fragile, and so we shouldn't miss breakage
when it happens.  Is that right?

If so, I wonder if a better solution would be for us to have a nightly
build with SCM_DEBUG=1, and to encourage developers to keep an eye on
that.  If you can let me know the appropriate incantation, I can easily
set up another build with this.

On my old laptop, the scm->go part of the build already takes quite a
long time (of the order of 10 minutes), so I'd be concerned about this
slowdown:

/* If SCM_DEBUG_CELL_ACCESSES is set to 1, cell accesses will perform
 * exhaustive parameter checking:  It will be verified that cell parameters
 * actually point to a valid heap cell.  Note:  If this option is enabled,
 * guile will run about ten times slower than normally.

Regards,
        Neil