Re: Testing third-party applications with 1.9

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Testing third-party applications with 1.9
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 00:01:00 +0200

Hi!

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 15:10 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>   http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/guile2test

[...]

> I think a couple of other important programs are Gnucash and SWIG
> (Gnucash uses SWIG as its Guile wrapper), Autogen (which is used by
> GCC), and GNU Robots.

I added SWIG, SLIB, GnuCash, and AutoGen to the mix.  GnuCash 2.2.9 and
AutoGen 5.9.8 fail at configure-time because they try to use
<guile/gh.h>.

GnuCash and AutoGen maintainers: if you read this, please upgrade from
GH, which was deprecated in 2001.  :-)

In related news, I had to modify the GnuTLS bindings to work with 1.9.3:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnutls.git;a=commitdiff;h=b595d1625e13a1836df6504ee1bafe1ef067726f;hp=cf61dc7006b8789951b058573ae1f824b264bd96

The removal of the port finalizer is the important part of this patch as
it would sometimes segfault with 1.9.3.  It relied on the (unspecified)
finalization ordering of Guile’s GC, which happens to be different with
libgc, hence the segfault.  That finalizer is no longer needed, so that
was easily fixed.

Guile-Avahi worked fine unmodified with 1.9.3.

I guess the real test GC-wise will be Guile-GNOME.

Thanks,
Ludo’.