Re: make check fails if no en_US.iso88591 locale

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: make check fails if no en_US.iso88591 locale
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 19:36:09 -0700

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 22:53 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> > It is important.  This is one of the problems with the whole Unicode
> > effort.  There is no Unicode-capable regex library.  The regexp.test
> > tries matching all bytes from 0 to 255, and it uses scm_to_locale_string
> > to prep the string for dispatch to the libc regex calls and
> > scm_from_locale_string to send them back.

[...]

> Thanks for explaining; I think I understand now.  So then Ludovic's
> suggestion of with-latin1-locale should work, shouldn't it?

Yeah.  I went with that idea.

> > This regex library actually can be used with arbitrary Unicode data
> > but it takes extra care.  UTF-8 can be used as the locale, and, then
> > regular expression must be written keeping in mind that each non-ASCII
> > character is really a multibyte string.
>
> Can you give an example of what that ("keeping in mind...") means?  Is
> it being careful with repetition counts (as in "[a-z]{3}"), for
> example?

I'm not much of a regex guy, but, here's a couple of examples.  First
one that sort of works as expected.

guile> (string-match "sé" "José")
==> #("José" (2 . 5))

Regex properly matches the word, but, the match struct (2 . 5) is
referring to the bytes of the string, not the characters of the string.

Here's one that doesn't work as expected.

guile> (string-match "[:lower:]" "Hi, mom")
==> #("Hi, mom" (5 . 6))
guile> (string-match "[:lower:]" "Hí, móm")
==> #f

Once you add accents on the vowels, nothing matches.

Thanks,

Mike