Re: [BDW-GC] "Inlined" storage; `scm_take_' functions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [BDW-GC] "Inlined" storage; `scm_take_' functions
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:03:03 +0200

Hi Neil!

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> Stringbufs and bytevectors are now always "inlined" in the BDW-GC
>> branch [0, 1], which means that there's no cell->buffer indirection,
>> which greatly simplifies code (it also takes less room and may slightly
>> improve performance).
>>
>> The `scm_take_' functions for strings/symbols/bytevectors are now
>> essentially aliases to the corresponding `scm_from_' because we cannot
>> advantageously reuse the provided storage.
>
> That seems a bit of a shame.  (i.e. that we can't advantageously keep
> the caller's string or vector data)

It’s not such a shame IMO because:

  * You have to allocate anyway, to store the (double) cell, and
    allocating the whole thing may be just as costly as allocating the
    cell, at least for small stringbufs/bytevectors.

  * For stringbufs, the user-provided buffer can be reused only if it’s
    either Latin-1 or UCS-4, anyway.

  * Removing the indirection and using only GC-managed memory is
    beneficial for Scheme code (which doesn’t use ‘scm_take’).

  * Reusing the malloc(3)-allocated buffer means that we have to
    register a finalizer to later free(3) that buffer (see, e.g., commit
    d7e7a02a6251c8ed4f76933d9d30baeee3f599c0), which is costly (see, e.g.,
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/popl03/web/html/slide_7.html).

That said...

> Did you consider the option of
>
> - always having an indirection from the stringbuf/bytevector object to
> the underlying data

... this may be valuable (Andy pointed it out as well), at least for
bytevectors.  The indirection is a requirement for Andy’s
SRFI-4-on-bytevector patch set, so that ‘scm_take_u8vector ()’ can still
be supported; it’s also required if we want to provide mmap(3) bindings,
for instance, that return a bytevector.

For stringbufs, though, I’m happy if we can leave the code as it is.

Thanks,
Ludo’.