SCM_DEBUG and developer builds

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: SCM_DEBUG and developer builds
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 19:49:48 -0400

I have a suggestion: Let's set SCM_DEBUG=1 by default for the 1.9.x series.

Clearly, it should be easy to disable, for doing performance testing builds or whatever. But having it on by default makes it more likely that we'll catch some kinds of errors sooner.

There are a couple of obvious approaches:

#1: Modify the default setting in __scm.h.

The only issue I'm concerned about is a library built with - DSCM_DEBUG=0 would still install headers that default to setting SCM_DEBUG to 1, thus causing application code to reference symbols like scm_error_pair_access that might not have been compiled in to the library. I'm willing to try to go through and make such symbols always be available, though obviously it means increasing the code size of the installed non-debugging library with debugging code.

#2: Add a configure option for setting SCM_DEBUG, instead of setting CPPFLAGS. Have it operate by defining SCM_DEBUG in the guile makefiles, leaving __scm.h (including the installed copy) setting a default of 0.

This will avoid inflicting SCM_DEBUG=1 checks on developers using the developer releases... so, that may or may not be desirable....

Thoughts?

Ken