Re: Problems with LOAD and latest build

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Problems with LOAD and latest build
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:43:39 +0200

On Mon 31 Aug 2009 10:46, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Now, does this indicate a bug in Guile, or at least an undesirable
>> behavior?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
> Programs that want to rely on bare R5RS (e.g., SILex) have nothing else
> but `load' to have code in separate files.  So I think the compiler
> should special-case top-level `load', `primitive-load', etc., calls.

Programs that rely on bare R5RS still need some help in Guile 1.8 to
load up syntax-rules. If they don't load up syntax-rules, they can't
define macros (barring defmacro which is not R5RS), and without there's
no difference between load and load-for-syntax.

Also this runs into other issues:

    (define (my-load foo)
      (warn "something")
      (load foo))

Or

    (define (my-load2 foo)
      (load (frob foo)))

> What do you think?

If there is a sensible thing to do here, I'm happy to do it. But I don't
yet see what that thing is.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/