Re: Minor queries about Unicode char docs

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Minor queries about Unicode char docs
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:40:29 -0700

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 11:21 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> I think there's a case here for making the docstring not identical to
> the corresponding manual text.  In the manual context, the section
> begins with talking about Unicode, so "Unicode" can be assumed for
> everything that follows.  But in the docstring, when someone types
> (help char<?), they'll just see
>
>   Return `#t' iff the code point of `x' is less than the code
>   point of `y', else `#f'.
>
> For this context I think it would be clearer to say
>
>   Return `#t' iff the Unicode code point of `x' is less than the
>   code point of `y', else `#f'.

Sounds good.

> +Case-insensitive character comparisons of characters use @emph{Unicode
> +case folding}.  In case folding comparisons, if a character is
> +lowercase and has an uppercase form that can be expressed as a single
> +character, it is converted to uppercase before comparison.  Unicode
> +case folding is language independent: it uses rules that are generally
> +true, but, it cannot cover all cases for all languages.
>
> That's very clear, but what if a character doesn't have an uppercase
> form that can be expressed as a single character?  Does Guile then
> throw an exception, or does it perform the comparison with the
> lowercase code point?

I see what you mean.  The text should have something like...

"In case folding comparisons, if a character is lowercase and has an
uppercase form that can be expressed as a single character, its
uppercase form is used in the comparison.  All other characters are not
modified for the comparison.  Note that the German letter Sharp S
(Eszett) is not uppercased before the comparison since its plural has
two characters instead of one."

> Thanks!
>
>      Neil

Thanks,