Re: towards a more unified procedure application mechanism

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: towards a more unified procedure application mechanism
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:42:55 +0200

Hi!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>  scm_tcs_closures           Interpreted procedures
>
> I am hoping to devise a way never to see these in the VM, on the
> eval-cleanup branch.

Cool!

>>  scm_tc7_subr_2o            SCM (*) () -- 0 arguments.
>>  scm_tc7_subr_1             SCM (*) (SCM) -- 1 argument.
>>  scm_tc7_subr_1o            SCM (*) (SCM) -- 1 optional argument.
>>  scm_tc7_subr_2o            SCM (*) (SCM, SCM) -- 2 required args.
>>  scm_tc7_subr_2o            SCM (*) (SCM, SCM) -- 2 optional args.
>>  scm_tc7_subr_3             SCM (*) (SCM, SCM, SCM) -- 3 required args.
>>  scm_tc7_lsubr              SCM (*) (SCM) -- list subrs
>>  scm_tc7_lsubr_2            SCM (*) (SCM, SCM, SCM)
>
> I would like to make these all be gsubrs. There are very few places
> where these constants actually exist in code "out there" -- normally the
> way to do this is to use scm_c_define_gsubr, and it does the right
> thing.
>
> I'll probably do a:
>
> #define scm_tc7_subr_2o \
>   scm_tc7_subr_2o_NO_LONGER_EXISTS_USE_scm_c_define_gsubr
>
> or something like that.

You can't do that because such subrs are created by `create_gsubr ()'
when the signature allows it.  Or did you mean `create_gsubr ()' would
now create only gsubrs?

These specialized subr types allow for faster dispatch, as opposed to
the argument count checks (and argument copies) that are done in
`scm_i_gsubr_apply ()'.  Thus, I think replacing all of them with gsubrs
may have a negative impact performance-wise.

>>  scm_tc7_dsubr              double (*) (double) -- double subrs
>
> I'll remove these, changing their implementations to be gsubrs. This
> only affects $sin et al; I'll probably roll the transcendental versions
> into the subrs as well.

Yes, it seems to be seldom used.  However, it might be a semi-public
API...

>>  scm_tc7_cxr                c[da]+r
>
> I'll change these to be subrs.

OK (this was essentially an interpreter hack AIUI).

>>  scm_tc7_asubr              SCM (*) (SCM, SCM) -- "accumulating" subrs.
>
> These are interesting. We have to keep the C signature of e.g. scm_sum,
> otherwise many things would break. So I'd change scm_sum to be a gsubr
> with two optional arguments, and then on the Scheme level do something
> like:
>
>  (define +
>    (let (($+ +))
>      (lambda args
>        (cond ((null? args) ($+))
>              ((null? (cdr args)) ($+ (car args)))
>              ((null? (cddr args)) ($+ (car args) (cadr args)))
>              (else (apply + ($+ (car args) (cadr args)) (cddr args)))))))
>
> The VM already compiles (+ a b c) to (add (add a b) c), where add is a
> primitive binary instruction.

OK.

>>  scm_tc7_rpsubr             SCM (*) (SCM, SCM) -- predicate subrs.
>
> Likewise, we'll have to do something like the + case.
>
>>  scm_tc7_smob               Applicable smobs
>
> Well... we probably have to support these also as a primitive procedure
> type. It could be we rework smobs in terms of structs, and if that
> happens, we can use applicable structs -- but barring that, this would
> be a fourth procedure type.

Yes.

>>  scm_tc7_gsubr              Generic subrs
>
> Actually applying gsubrs can be complicated, due to optional args, rest
> args, and the lack of `apply' in C. I guess we should farm out
> application to a scm_i_gsubr_applyv trampoline that takes its args as an
> on-the-stack vector.

Indeed.

>>  scm_tc7_pws                Procedures with setters
>>      Gets the procedure, and applies that. This needs to be inlined into
>>      the VM to preserve tail recursion.
>
> Ideally these would be implemented as applicable structs. We'll see.
>
>>  scm_tcs_struct             Applicable structs
>
> Check if the struct is applicable, and if so apply its effective method.

Sounds like a nice plan!

Thanks,
Ludo'.