Re: On white-box tests

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: On white-box tests
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:14:12 -0700

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 10:38 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Just a note that I've been meaning to send for some time.
>
> "Michael Gran" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=9b0c25f6d18d5be318ea3a47fd87cf7e63b689e1
>
> [...]
>

> I'm not fully convinced by some of these "string internals" tests,
> though.  These are "white box tests".  I believe these tests are mostly
> useful when written by someone different than the one who implemented
> the code under test, both of whom following a given specification.  When
> someone writes both the code and the white box tests, I'm afraid they
> end up writing the same code twice, just differently.  For example:

I know what your saying.  I was just a kid with a new toy.

In my line of work, where 100% code coverage of test suites is a common
requirement, we end up writing many such overly obvious tests.  They are
often the only way to hit some internal branches.  They are often
pointless.

> What do you think?

Keep it or dump it.  It's all good.

> Thanks,