Re: Some more elisp aspects: Reader and documentation

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Some more elisp aspects: Reader and documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:59:37 +0200

Hi Ludo,

2) Write a seperate elisp reader, possibly in Scheme (but could be C
as well if that's important for performance).  This helps us keep
"both" readers clean and seperate, but all has to be done from ground
up and the code is probably slower (when written in Scheme).
This sounds like the best option to me.  You could use SILex to build
the lexer (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~dube/) and `(text parse-lalr)'
for the parser.
Hm, ok, I'll look into those.  On the other hand I guess that Lisp has
such a simple syntax that hand-writing some recursive-descent parser
may be an equally good option?  Well, I'll simply give it a try!

Well, yes, you may be right.

I'll play around a little and see what grammar I'd get and how easy it could be without the additional tools, and then make my choice!

But it seems that the LALR parser generator is part of guile-lib, and
will introduce that as a new dependency for Guile;

Actually it's already in `master', because it's used for ECMAScript.
I'd need to be made part of the official API, though.

do you think that's ok?  (Haven't checked how SILex works and if it
may introduce dependencies.)

SILex generates a source file containing the lexer, so there's no
additional run-time dependency.  Guile's tarball could come with the
generated file, such that end-users don't need to have SILex installed.
For convenience, it may be helpful to have SILex in the repository,
though (that's what Guile-RPC does).

Ok thanks for the hints!  I'll try it out!

Cheers,
Daniel