Re: Some more elisp aspects: Reader and documentation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Some more elisp aspects: Reader and documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:46:45 +0200

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late reply.

Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> writes:

> 2) Write a seperate elisp reader, possibly in Scheme (but could be C
> as well if that's important for performance).  This helps us keep
> "both" readers clean and seperate, but all has to be done from ground
> up and the code is probably slower (when written in Scheme).

This sounds like the best option to me.  You could use SILex to build
the lexer (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~dube/) and `(text parse-lalr)'
for the parser.

It may be slower than the C counterpart at first but it's bound to get
faster as Andy implements more crazy compiler optimizations.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.