Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:46:07 +0200

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if it's a gcc bug that 'sizeof (void *) 0' fails.

My understanding of Section A.2.1 of C99 is that both this and
"sizeof ((void *) 0)" are syntactically invalid:

  (6.5.1) primary-expression:
                identifier
                constant
                string-literal
                ( expression )

  (6.5.2) postfix-expression:
                primary-expression
                postfix-expression [ expression ]
                postfix-expression ( argument-expression-listopt )
                postfix-expression . identifier
                postfix-expression -> identifier
                postfix-expression ++
                postfix-expression --
                ( type-name ) { initializer-list }
                ( type-name ) { initializer-list , }

  [...]

  (6.5.3) unary-expression:
                 postfix-expression
                 ++ unary-expression
                 -- unary-expression
                 unary-operator cast-expression
                 sizeof unary-expression
                 sizeof ( type-name )

  (6.5.3) unary-operator: one of

  (6.5.4) cast-expression:
                 unary-expression
                 ( type-name ) cast-expression

Do you have pointers to the discussions you've had with the Gnulib and
NetBSD people?

Thanks,
Ludo'.