Re: Enormous benchmark speedup

From: Juhani Viheräkoski
Subject: Re: Enormous benchmark speedup
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 04:09:52 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Andy Wingo wrote:

So here's a project, should you choose to be interested ;-) Sometimes we
do things that we don't know exactly how they affect performance. We're
working on getting decent measurement into Guile's build itself... I
mean, we want to work on it :) But we're not measuring.

I would really, really love a graph of performance over time on the
various Gambit benchmarks.

So for every git revision, a number (and standard deviation?) for every
Gambit benchmark. Ideally displayed in tables and graphs.

I just mention all of this to you because you said at one point that you
liked systematically testing things ;-)

At least I could easily put raw logs available to my webpage, I run the benchmarks by hand anyway. Then I could try to polish my hacked benchmark suite and send it upstream. There were some bugs introduced by my porting efforts, I *think* I've fixed them all now :) If someone wants to try it it's now available at
http://moonshine.kapsi.fi/bench-guile.tar.bz2

I am currently running the benchmarks and I will put the results for master (compiled and interpreted) and 1.8.6 in text format to http://moonshine.kapsi.fi/guile-results when finished. I'll try to hack something neater during the next week or so. BTW, does anyone know if there are guile bindings for any graphic library as I couldn't find any? If there aren't, I'll do it in perl then, although I don't especially like perl.

--
Juhani