Re: Elisp lexical-let

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Elisp lexical-let
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:47:21 +0200

Ken Raeburn wrote:
On Jul 22, 2009, at 05:11, Daniel Kraft wrote:
It seemed really hard to me to find at least *basic* information about how the lexbind things works; I did build now an emacs with lexbind from trunk, but so far as I see this is not meant to implement "lexical-let" as the cl package does, but rather allows switching all bindings from dynamic to lexical within one source file.

Oh... I may have seriously misunderstood; sorry about that. That's what comes from not having bothered to look. :-)

Ok, I think I'll work on a cl like lexical-let now and see what this gives in performance related to dynamic let (and just to get it available of course).

The implementation will (for now at least) be as I favour it, that is, inner lets revert to dynamic binding (as do inner lambdas for their arguments) -- this is more reasonable (I think), has more power (as the other way can be achieved by using lexical-let for inner lets when preferred, which is also clearer to understand) and should be easier to implement (because I don't need to mess around with the compilation of let constructs depending on the context).

I'll keep in mind also the lexbind idea of optionally making every binding lexical. Andy, can you give me a hint/example/pointer how compiler options work? This would be exactly the place to provide this, I think. Additionally we could add an option to remove the "variable is void" error check for a further performance gain.

Yours,
Daniel

--
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Kni-Mon-Pri