Re: Elisp lexical-let

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Elisp lexical-let
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:50:49 -0400

On Jul 22, 2009, at 05:11, Daniel Kraft wrote:
It seemed really hard to me to find at least *basic* information about how the lexbind things works; I did build now an emacs with lexbind from trunk, but so far as I see this is not meant to implement "lexical-let" as the cl package does, but rather allows switching all bindings from dynamic to lexical within one source file.

Oh... I may have seriously misunderstood; sorry about that. That's what comes from not having bothered to look. :-)

In that case, the cl package is probably the thing to look at for now; it is used by a bunch of other things in Emacs. But I do expect lexbind is going to get merged in eventually, so keeping that in mind for the future would be wise too.

And checks with the cl package's implementation of lexical-let give the result, that an inner let does the same as if it was another lexical-let; that is, does not revert to dynamic binding but rather sets only the lexical value.

So, what are the opinions regarding lexical-let as an extension construct? Regarding the behaviour, to me the one described above seems to be a consequence of the implementing with unwind-protect and not necessarily expected -- thus I suggest to implement the version I had in mind, namely that an inner let or argument binding inside a lambda reverts to dynamic binding for that inner scope. This seems more consistent and reasonable to me.

I think you could make an argument for doing it either way. The interesting question would be whether anyone is depending on the behavior from the cl package.

Ken