Re: array handles and non-local exits

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: array handles and non-local exits
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:27:42 +0100

Hi,

On Thu 09 Jul 2009 22:08, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> To me this is a weak argument, especially given that much code probably
>> doesn't do the right thing in the presence of nonlocal exits.
>
> To me, *this* is a weak argument.  ;-)

Heh, allow me to elaborate then. "Let's keep this thing because maybe it
will be useful" is a form of cargo-culting. I am saying that it has no
use, and should be removed, *because* its presence has a cost and no
benefit. Not so much in time, but in code complexity. You can't just
write functions that return values, you have to contort code to store
temporaries and then release and then return. You have to write paired
statements. If you call a user function, you really should set up a
dynwind, which conses, and contorts your code even further.
Array_handle_release is a bad idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

Regards,

Andy