Re: bytevector docs -> compound data types?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: bytevector docs -> compound data types?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:39:36 +0200

Hello,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently the bytevector docs are in the "Simple data types" section.
> Would they not be a better fit in "Compound data types", along with
> uniform vectors &c?

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2009-05/msg00077.html .

An argument in favor of the current layout is this:

* Strings::                     Sequences of characters.
* Bytevectors::                 Sequences of bytes.

The rationale was that some Guile programs have come to use strings to
store binary data, and we want to insist on the difference between
characters and bytes.

OTOH it obviously makes sense to have them close to uniform vectors, so
either way is fine with me.

Thanks,
Ludo'.