Re: preserving timestamps on installation

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: preserving timestamps on installation
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:45:57 -0400

What I would suggest is, given that automake ships with an install.sh,
add the -p option to install.sh, corresponding to install(1), and use it
by default. I can't think of any downsides.

That sounds like a bad idea.

Imagine the following (not unlikely) sequence:
1) install header.h
2) modify header.h
3) build some other package using the installed header.h
4) install the modified header.h
5) issue make in 'some other package'

Step 5 will not cause a recompilation because it looks like the newly installed header is old as 2) and 'other package' was built at 3) which is later.

If there is no difference between header.h in install 1) and 4) your suggestion might be a good idea, but to get that behavior you can use `install.sh -C'.

Cheers,

--
Peter Johansson

svndigest maintainer, http://dev.thep.lu.se/svndigest