Re: autocompilation support in master

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: autocompilation support in master
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 23:12:16 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> There's a lot of trickiness to this, but I think we all have instincts
> on how this should work. I'll write docs soon, but in the meantime, I
> would like for folks to ignore the implementation, and just use Guile
> for a while, and see if what it does sounds right to you. It prints some
> status info on the console when autocompiling.

Unfortunately I'm not getting through `make' yet:

GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 ../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile -o
"language/ecmascript/spec.go" "language/ecmascript/spec.scm"
ERROR: Stack overflow

But if I switch to a shell and repeat with --debug, no problem:

address@hidden:~/SW/Guile/git/module$ GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 GUILE_FLAGS=--debug
../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile -o "language/ecmascript/spec.go"
"language/ecmascript/spec.scm"
wrote `language/ecmascript/spec.go'

And no problem if I now remove the --debug again:

address@hidden:~/SW/Guile/git/module$ GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile -o "language/ecmascript/spec.go"
"language/ecmascript/spec.scm"
wrote `language/ecmascript/spec.go'

Or even if I delete language/ecmascript/spec.go and retry (so it's not
connected with spec.scm already having been compiled):

address@hidden:~/SW/Guile/git/module$ rm language/ecmascript/spec.go
address@hidden:~/SW/Guile/git/module$ GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile -o "language/ecmascript/spec.go"
"language/ecmascript/spec.scm"
wrote `language/ecmascript/spec.go'

What's the explanation for that?

        Neil