Re: master build issue

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: master build issue
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:31:57 +0200

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 03:04, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I built and installed libunistring this evening, to /usr/local, and
> now ./configure is failing for me at:
>
> checking size of float... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
> (float)

I had this at one point today, as well, when I had installed
libunistring into /opt/foo/ but had my libdir wrong (/opt/foo/lib vs
/opt/foo/lib64)...

Crazy to get an error about sizeof(float). I wish unistring added its
info to UNISTRING_CFLAGS/UNISTRING_LIBS like other libraries instead of
CFLAGS so it would affect checks like this.

While we're complaining about the build :-) It seems we require gperf
now. Is that correct? Can that build-dependency be removed somehow? It
seems to be a build-time dependency, though it could be only for
maintainers.

If in fact it is only for maintainers, perhaps we should keep the
generated whatevers in git. I just had to ask the build folks at work to
add unistring as a dep, and I'm a little concerned about asking for
gperf too :P

> configure:52553: ccache gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib
> -lunistring -R/usr/local/lib -lgmp -lcrypt -lm -lltdl  >&5
> gcc: unrecognized option '-R/usr/local/lib'

I think that's how my error panned out too, but for you it should work.
Maybe we should get Bruno involved, if Ludovic doesn't know anything...

> Ludo, Andy, I'm wondering why this isn't a problem for you too.  Is it
> because you've installed libunistring in /usr, perhaps?

On my laptop, yes, in anticipation of someone packaging it up. Grr
unpackaged dependencies!!

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/