Re: low-hanging SRFI fruit (SRFI-98)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: low-hanging SRFI fruit (SRFI-98)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 22:10:06 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> You should be able to remove the ref entirely with "git push :master"
> then "git push master" -- as least the last time I mucked with these
> things that's how it worked.

Ah cool, I'll try to remember that for the future.

> BUT... I wouldn't bother, really. In the meantime I committed a few
> things to `master' this morning, so we'd need to rebase anew. The merge
> commit has no practical implications, and indeed will happen from time
> to time with distributed development. And now if we fudge the history,
> it could be that people's git pull invocations stop running, like your
> snapshot did.
>
> So while if you really want to do this, we can, but my advice would be
> to let the tangle drop off into history ;-)

I'm very nearly persuaded by this... but I feel that I don't
understand why some of the ways of looking at the merge commit show so
many diffs.  For example:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=2f9ae9b1040e1b9339bb0bc8b0013a5346622c44

(On the other hand, gitweb -
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=2f9ae9b1040e1b9339bb0bc8b0013a5346622c44
- just says "Trivial merge", which is more reassuring, and I think
reflects reality.)

I'm imagining looking back through the history at some future time
when I've forgotten what happened here.  When that happens, I don't
want to be misled into thinking that the merge commit made loads of
changes, when in fact it didn't.

Is it just that I'm misunderstanding what cgit shows?

Regards,
        Neil