Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, syncase-in-boot-9, updated. e3c5df

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, syncase-in-boot-9, updated. e3c5df539640a36eb1493f581087d54a4714f337
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:14:01 +0200

Howdy,

Thanks for the review!

On Sun 31 May 2009 01:52, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> commit 34f3d47df9311852ba7eab6f8d1c36535c3774dd
>> Author: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Thu May 28 14:49:33 2009 +0200
>
> [...]
>
>>     * module/ice-9/boot-9.scm: Remove #' read-hash extension, which actually
>>       didn't do anything at all. It's been there since 1997, but no Guile
>>       code I've ever seen uses it, and it conflicts with #'x => (syntax x)
>>       from modern Scheme.
>
> I find this point questionable.  Do we really need to break this
> functionality?  It would be nicer if we could both keep
> `read-hash-extend' and the functionality you want.  What do you think?

`read-hash-extend' is still there. This just removed the #'
read-hash-extension, which was the identity extension: #'foo == foo.

`read-hash-extend' overrides any core hash forms, so this extension
prevented #'foo == (syntax foo). It would be easy for an affected reader
to add this particular extension back, though.

> (Besides, this commit appears to contain unrelated changes.

They are all described by the commit log, right? It is true that some of
the changes are not related to others, though. I'll try to separate them
out more in the future.

> Also, I
> prefer it when the test case appears in the same commit as the feature
> it tests, for easier review.)

OK.

> You may also want to add "SRFI-62 support" in `NEWS'.

Yes, and to the cond-expand forms. I have a lot of things I need to add
to NEWS before the release.

Cheers,

Andy
--