Re: srfi-18 and the vm

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: srfi-18 and the vm
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 00:16:59 +0200

Hi!

On Sun 24 May 2009 00:03, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I'm slightly concerned that doing things ahead of time rather than just
> in time (i.e., lazily) would have a negative impact on the interpreter's
> start-up time, which may be noticeable for short-lived scripts.

In the guile -c 0 case, we don't have this issue, because no source is
expanded; it's all compiled already. The load time on my machine is
about 20 ms, which is about equal to what we discussed before (10 ms
base + 10 ms for psyntax). It is faster than before, and will get
faster.

For loading uncompiled scripts, things will be slower, unless your
modules #:use-syntax some other transformer. I don't know where the
tradeoff is between the increased expansion speed due to compilation and
slowdown due to a complete codewalk, but it's certainly there.

OTOH I would suspect that we can implement some kind of just-in-time
compilation -- essentially for each use-modules we can check to see if
the module is compiled, and if not just compile it then and there. It
would be a little slow the first time, but after that it would load much
faster, even faster than before. Python does this. We could add a guile
--no-comp option to disable it.

> What do you think?

I think it's a good question, and we're going to have to settle on a
good answer at some point.

Cheers,

Andy.
--