Sting abstraction 2

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Sting abstraction 2
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:24:09 -0700

Hi-

I've been working on the Unicode problem in Guile, and I had been too
ambitious.  I hacked it up pretty harsh and started getting errors that
were tough to debug.

Anyway, I backtracked a bit.  Today I pushed a new tree
(string_abstraction2) which should be the same as master except with all
unnecessary calls to scm_i_string_chars, scm_i_symbol_chars, and
scm_i_string_writable_chars removed.  I largely avoided other
unnecessary modifications.  It is still an 8-bit string build, but, now
the string internals have been confined to strings.c and strports.c,
with very few exceptions.

>From here, I'm more confident that I can fold in changes for unicode
without breakage.