Re: GSoC: Emacs Lisp support for GNU Guile

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: GSoC: Emacs Lisp support for GNU Guile
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:15:26 -0700

Hi Neil :)

Though I was not the person to whom the question was addressed, a
comment :)

On Tue 31 Mar 2009 15:23, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> If you followed this kind of approach, note that it would also need
> work - in addition to the Elisp/VM translation - to implement whatever
> Emacs primitives the Elisp code relies on.  That would make the
> project as a whole less pure-language-translation, but (in my view)
> more real and useful.

I keep thinking that it should be possible to write some kind of C shim
so that Guile could implement the Emacs C "API". That way we keep the
existing C code working, we keep the fine-tuned implementations and
semantics, and we can move on from "re-implementing" to "implementing"
-- e.g. adding to Emacs instead of just reproducing it.

Happy hacking,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/