Re: request review: branch "wingo"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: request review: branch "wingo"
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:38:50 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> So, I really intended to wait for review, but it's irritating having
> `master' broken, so I went ahead and merged this in.

You waited for 31 hours and I still don't know how it was "broken",
which I find irritating as well.

> I think the stack calibration stuff is correct,

Again, this all boils down to an arbitrary choice: 1 MiB instead of
40 KiB.  Surely someday this won't be enough.

Besides, there's the thread about cross-compilation where we mention
building the compiler with an already installed Guile that may have an
inappropriate stack limit.

> but perhaps more jarring
> in this commit is a move from ./pre-inst-guile to ./meta/guile, and
> ./pre-inst-guile-env to ./meta/uninstalled-env. I describe the rationale
> in 0b6d8fdc28ed8af56e93157179c305fef037e0a0.

I think the rationale ("The proximate cause of its creation is that I
want to be able to build external packages against uninstalled Guile,
and to do that I need guile-tools in the PATH, but I don't want
$top_builddir/libtool in the path.") is questionable.  Things are not
meant to work this way (Libtool's `.la' and executable scripts, `.pc'
files, etc.), so it looks quite hackish to me.

I'm probably biased because I've got used to installing Guile when I
want to test apps against it (I have 1.8 and HEAD under a different
prefix so I can test against both).

Thanks,
Ludo'.