Re: stack calibration

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: stack calibration
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:20:25 +0200

Hello,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> The recent commit to compile with the stack calibration file,
> 7ca96180f00800414a9cf855e5ca4dceb9baca07, breaks compilation because the
> compile scripts have hash-bang lines like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # -*- scheme -*-
> exec ${GUILE-guile} -e '(@ (scripts compile) compile)' -s $0 "$@"
> !#

But it doesn't matter since makefiles use `am/guilec', which doesn't do
this, does it?  (I did a "make clean && make check" before committing.)

> So I have a proposal. We should set the stack limit to 60k words.
>
>   Pros: 1) This way Guile will just work.

I agree with Neil: it will work for you(tm), but we can't tell whether
it'll work on, say, hppa*-hpux* with HP's compiler.  So we need this
sort of hack.  Another hack would be to "(debug-set! stack 0)" when
building the compiler (assuming the compiler code is "sane" in terms of
stack usage), and maybe even when running tests.

>         2) It's simple.
>         3) We avoid the evaluator this way.

Before the compiler is compiled, we can't avoid the evaluator, can we?

Thanks,
Ludo'.