Re: ERROR: Stack overflow from 1.8.6 on HP-UX 11.23/IA, 11.31/IA

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: ERROR: Stack overflow from 1.8.6 on HP-UX 11.23/IA, 11.31/IA
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:50:59 +0000

Albert Chin <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. Do all of the standalone tests fail with a stack overflow, or just
>> those two?
>
> Unknown. Some of the tests fail to dlopen some modules:
>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>   ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3", message: "can't open the module"
>   FAIL: test-require-extension
>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>   ERROR: file: "libtest-asmobs", message: "can't open the module"
>   FAIL: test-asmobs
>
> I haven't looked into why.

Looks like not being up to pick up uninstalled libraries.  You may
like to use strace (or similar) to investigate where the system is
looking, and see if there's a way to tell it to look in libguile.  (We
try to do this with the LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH variable, but perhaps that
isn't working on HP-UX?)

>> 2. Can you send us your libguile/stack-limit-calibration.scm?
>
> Attached.

OK, so there's a factor of 3 there.  Can you try changing the hardcode
stack limit in eval.c from 20000 to 60000, and see if that allows the
affected tests to pass?  If it does, we'll have to find a way of
applying the factor in libguile/stack-limit-calibration.scm before
Guile starts booting.

>> 3. Can you explain what the setting of PTHREAD_CFLAGS is for?
>
> Because, without it, PTHREAD_CFLAGS is set to:
>   s["PTHREAD_CFLAGS"]="-D_REENTRANT -mthreads"
> which is incorrect.

OK, thanks.

    Neil