Re: vm status update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: vm status update
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:31:01 +0100

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

>   * I've started to think about optimization, and what's clear is that
>     GHIL as it stands is too much of a pain in the ass -- you can't turn
>     a ((lambda ...) ...) into a (let ... ...) without like 30 lines of
>     code. I decided that having alpha-renamed variables would eliminate
>     the need for <ghil-env>, and make GHIL actually readable and
>     writable without loss of information.

Sounds interesting!

> Syncase + GHIL without <ghil-env> also gives us the opportunity to
> simplify GHIL itself, removing e.g. quasiquote in favor of syncase's
> expansion. That can let us simplify the evaluator too. The interpreter
> could even become threadsafe, eventually.

Hmm, the main reason why the interpreter (I mean, `CEVAL ()') isn't
thread-safe is that memoization itself isn't thread-safe.  How would
syncase expansion help here?

> Anyway, that's where I am. Bug-wise we still have a bug in backtraces,
> which I need to pin down at some point, and update docs -- but generally
> speaking we're mergeable. What do people think, should I be working on
> master at some point?

Sure.  Neil: what do you think?  Looking at `vm', it's been sometime
since the last merge with `master', so it'd be worth checking that
things still work.

Although this may not be a show-stopper to the merge IMO, do you have
benchmark results?

Thanks,
Ludo'.