Re: [VM] Should `compile' always be visible?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [VM] Should `compile' always be visible?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:22:26 +0000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> OK. Still I feel that it would be great to have `compile' and
> `compile-file' available in the default environment -- they're in the
> same category as `load', `eval', etc. It would also be good for scripts.
> But I could be convinced otherwise :)

Not sure I'm understanding the discussion here...  If your main target
is the REPL (as suggested by use of `also' above), that can be
addressed by adding `compile' and `compile-file' to (guile-user)
rather than (guile), can't it?  (And I thought that was Ludovic's
original suggestion.)

And most scripts wouldn't need to use compile themselves, would they?
They'd already be compiled themselves, and would automatically pick up
compiled modules in preference to Scheme code modules.

Regards,
        Neil