Re: Unicode, ports and encoding

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Unicode, ports and encoding
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:48:34 +0100

Hi Mike,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought I could start there, but, it isn't easy. There is a lot that could
> be broken by modifying string processing.  So I tried writing some tests
> first so I can check my work as I go along.  But the tests have to be
> non-ASCII, so they need to be converted when they are read in.
> It gets a little bit circular using scm_from_locale_string to convert
> non-ASCII strings in the test source, and then having the test check
> the behavior of scm_from_locale_string.

I see.  OTOH, it should be possible to write plain C tests that would
create strings using `scm_from_{utf8,locale}_string ()' (with sample
UTF-8 strings hardwired as raw byte arrays) and from there test
`scm_string_ref ()', etc., and all of the <libguile/chars.h> functions.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo'.