Re: compiler.texi: Compiling to the virtual machine

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: compiler.texi: Compiling to the virtual machine
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:12:35 +0100

Hey!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue 13 Jan 2009 23:45, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>>   s/toplevel/top-level/
>
> Ooh, this one is painful -- I feel like if it changes in the docs it
> should change in the code too. Do you really think this is the right
> thing? top-level-ref ? <ghil-top-level-env> ?

Code and documentation are two different things IMO.  You could write
"top-level" in English text and use "toplevel" in identifiers if you
find it more appropriate.

>>   s/e.g./e.g.,/
>
> To me, s/e.g./for example/ is an idempotent transformation. So if the
> clause after "e.g." is short, no comma necessary. Otherwise you need a
> comma for breath. But maybe it is a snooty style.

I dunno, I thought the comma was sort of compulsory.

A quick googling reveals that opinions diverge, but that the comma after
"e.g." is often used in American English.

Thanks,
Ludo'.