Re: marking overhead, and on the cost of conditionals in hot code

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: marking overhead, and on the cost of conditionals in hot code
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:37:22 +0100

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems like a lot of things are starting to depend on whether or not
> we move to BDW-GC.  (This, the fix I just did for NetBSD,
> scm_init_guile, forthcoming work on threads and mutex locking
> inconsistencies, ...)  We should aim to reach a definitive decision on
> this soon!

Right.  Here's my (small) roadmap:

  1. Experiment a bit more with static allocation, notably for subrs,
     and see whether it's worth it.

  2. Provide additional benchmarking results, based on those by Clinger,
     Hansen et al., which are in the repo.  I'd like to have a
     reasonable understanding of what they do, though.

Additional feedback from interested parties could also be helpful in
trying to reach a decision.

Thanks,
Ludo'.