Re: compiler.texi: Compiling to the virtual machine

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: compiler.texi: Compiling to the virtual machine
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:03:20 +0100

Hi Ludo,

Thanks for the review, it's appreciated. I've incorporated your vm.texi
changes and will push shortly.

On Tue 13 Jan 2009 23:45, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>   s/toplevel/top-level/

Ooh, this one is painful -- I feel like if it changes in the docs it
should change in the code too. Do you really think this is the right
thing? top-level-ref ? <ghil-top-level-env> ?

>   s/runtime/run-time/

So, to me:

  "run-time" sounds better as an adjective, and as a noun meaning "when
    code is executed"; and

  "runtime" sounds better for "the libguile runtime".

I've sprinkled appropriate changes. Let me know if it still reads wrong.

>   s/e.g./e.g.,/

To me, s/e.g./for example/ is an idempotent transformation. So if the
clause after "e.g." is short, no comma necessary. Otherwise you need a
comma for breath. But maybe it is a snooty style.

>> @node Extending the Compiler
>> @subsection Extending the Compiler
>
> I like this section.  :-)

Hah! Junkie :-)

>> recommended papers: Dybvig's HOCS, Ghuloum's compiler paper.

Ah yes, this was an oversight. I'll fix.

Thanks again!

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/