vm status update

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: vm status update
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:35:19 +0100

Hey hackers,

I just finished up a lot of typing at the manual, and I hope I'm done
with that. The net result is that the VM is documented quite thoroughly,
and the compiler as well. I'll send those documents to the list in
separate mails for inline comments.

Otherwise, in the course of documentation, I've made a few minor
cleanups, some internal name changes and such. No sense polishing a
turd, they say.

I had an idea regarding unit tests recently: since GHIL and GLIL now
have (documented!) S-expression representations, we should be able to
easily and expressively test individual compiler passes. Looking forward
to that.

I also had another realization, that now that VM frames go into stack
structures, that statprof should work with the VM. Have yet to check
though.

Anyway, just some babblings. I'll probably switch to benchmarking and
profiling sometime soon. I also need to merge in master to vm, it's been
a while and there are probably some conflicts.

So that's my status. Happy hacking!

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/