Re: vm status update

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: vm status update
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 18:57:07 +0100

Hey hey,

On Mon 05 Jan 2009 17:06, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nice.  Regarding the merge to master, though,
>>
>> - I think that would imply that the VM is included in the next release
>> series (1.10.x or 2.0.x); is that your intention?  (I have no
>> objection!)
>
> No objection either, but...  some benchmarking would be really nice.
> :-)

Yes, you're right.

> Also, what's the status of the VM/compiler test suite?

Well, there are larger tests, in that the normal test suite passes with
VM-compiled code (e.g. ice-9 and all that). However the normal test
suite code is interpreted always -- we need to figure out how to run it
with the interpreter and the evaluator.

And there are smaller tests, which test that VM compilation and
execution produces the same result as interpretation. But there are no
unit tests of the compiler itself. Also, these particular tests are not
yet integrated with the main test suite.

Benchmark-wise, there's not much. I am not currently running many
benchmarks, fwiw -- been focusing more on correctness.

So yes, there's still some work to be done.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/