Re: vm status update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: vm status update
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:06:11 +0100

Season greetings hackers!

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> Nice.  Regarding the merge to master, though,
>
> - I think that would imply that the VM is included in the next release
> series (1.10.x or 2.0.x); is that your intention?  (I have no
> objection!)

No objection either, but...  some benchmarking would be really nice.
:-)

Also, what's the status of the VM/compiler test suite?

> - if yes to that, even so it might help us to hold off on the merge
> for now, until we've finished reviewing everything else in
> branch_release-1-8..master, and moving _out_ anything that should be
> in the next release series.

Did you mean "that should *not* be"?

> Now the last point makes it sound as though there's actually a plan
> here, and I'm afraid there isn't really.  But I've recently been
> looking at the branch_release-1-8..master diffs, and reverting some
> that shouldn't have been there, and I think Ludovic may have been
> doing a little of that too.

What are you referring too?  Some time between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6, I added
`SCM_INTERNAL' and then reverted it from `branch_release-1-8' as it
would have caused ABI incompatibilities.  But that's the only thing I
remember of.

Do you think there are things currently in `master' that should be
reverted?

Thanks,
Ludo'.