Re: Printing utf8 strings

From: Stanislav Ievlev
Subject: Re: Printing utf8 strings
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:16:44 +0300

10 декабря 2008 г. 1:17 пользователь Neil Jerram <address@hidden> написал:
2008/12/8 Stanislav Ievlev <address@hidden>:

> I think this is a bug,   because different symbols has different external
> representation ;)

Not sure I'm understanding you.  Clearly lack of Unicode/UTF-8 support
is an important missing feature; are you saying something other than
that?
 Current (write) implementation "quote" random subset of non-ascii symbols, but not all non-ascii symbols.

Are you planning to add unicode strings in next big release?

> Well, How to output string  "as is" to terminal in example bellow?
>
> --
> (define  a (gettext "string" "dictionary" "ru_RU.UTF8"))
> (write a) ;; ???

Using `display', as your previous example showed.  But really it's
just luck that this works.
 Please, save this "feature" in 1.8.x, otherwise it's impossible to use guile in   real applications ;)