Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:11:01 +0100

Hi Neil!

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> This all sounds pretty compelling to me.  From my point of view, you
> and Han-Wen have the most knowledge of this area, and Han-Wen has one
> of the most demanding applications - so if you and Han-Wen are happy
> to go ahead, I'm happy too.

Great.  I hope others view these arguments as compelling, too.

> Just in case some really hard problem emerges, is it possible to
> organize the development so that we could retain the option for a
> while - say, a few months - to switch back?

I think the best we can do is keep the thing in a separate branch.  It's
already too late to have, say, a configure-time option to choose GCs
(because I did not plan to do this when I started).  It would have been
quite hard anyway since the current GC code is quite entangled with the
rest of Guile in some places.

Does that seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,
Ludo'.