Re: RFD: drop the GH interface.

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: RFD: drop the GH interface.
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:57:31 -0400

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> From a Guile-user and not developer perspective, the sequence needs to be:
> 1. the most retrograde platform must have all the GH capabilities in
>    the SCM interfaces for their releases.  It seems to take quite a few
>    years for BSD to get around to building newer versions.

I'm not sure quite what you mean.  The BSD systems are different from
linux in that there is a 'base system' and then a 'package system', and
releases of the base system are decoupled from packaging system changes.
NetBSD and Dragonfly uses pkgsrc, and pkgsrc has stable pkgsrc releases
every quarter.  Currently pkgsrc has guile 1.8.5, which I think is up to
date.

I am not clear on the status of guile in FreeBSD ports and OpenBSD
ports.  I don't think there are other BSDs.

> I think we're to step 3 now, but I need to check the Guile version
> distributed with net/open/free BSD.  Last I looked (~4 or 5 years
> ago...), it was either 1.4.x or, perhaps, 1.6.x.  It was many years
> behind.  In any case, I would suggest checking with your "customers"
> and "redistributors" instead of this list.  IMHO, anyway.

I maintain the guile package in pkgsrc; I would hope the other system's
maintainers are also on this list, or at least on some announce list.

But for pkgsrc, it's been at 1.8 since

date: 2007/06/12 03:02:33;  author: dmcmahill;  state: Exp;  lines: +24 -3