Re: RFD: drop the GH interface.

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: RFD: drop the GH interface.
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:04:57 -0700

Ludovic Courte`s wrote:
Hi,

Do we have a consensus?

Yes, fine by me, but no rush.  ;-)

From a Guile-user and not developer perspective, the sequence needs to be:
1. the most retrograde platform must have all the GH capabilities in
   the SCM interfaces for their releases.  It seems to take quite a few
   years for BSD to get around to building newer versions.

2. Once that happens, a couple of years must pass

3. I finally get around to removing GH stuff from my code (is there a guide?)

4. a couple more years pass

5. now it's okay by me for released code to not have GH.

I think we're to step 3 now, but I need to check the Guile version distributed
with net/open/free BSD.  Last I looked (~4 or 5 years ago...), it was either
1.4.x or, perhaps, 1.6.x.  It was many years behind.  In any case, I would
suggest checking with your "customers" and "redistributors" instead of this
list.
IMHO, anyway.

Regards, Bruce