Re: array handles and non-local exits

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: array handles and non-local exits
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:56:22 +0200

Hello!

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2008/9/15 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
>>
>> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Now, as it happens, the code doesn't actually implement what the
>>> manual says, and in fact scm_array_handle_release() is currently a
>>> no-op!  But I believe the manual's intention is sensible, so it think
>>> I think we should commit this patch as-is for now, and raise a bug to
>>> track the fact that the array/handle API isn't fully implemented.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I'd prefer fixing the manual rather than `scm_array_get_handle ()',
>> because (1) setting up a dynwind is "costly" (involves some consing),
>
> Which implies that we should avoid it if not needed, which to me
> implies that it makes sense to have it _inside_ the scm_array*
> functions, because the implementation of those functions determines
> whether it is needed.  (Currently it isn't needed, because the
> functions don't actually perform any reservation.)

If `get_handle ()' creates a dynwind that ends in `release_handle ()',
then code like the following will no longer work as expected:

  scm_dynwind_begin ();
  scm_dynwind_unwind_handler ();
  scm array_get_handle ();

  scm_dynwind_end ();
  scm_array_release_handle ();

Perhaps that's what is implied by the manual's wording but I find it a
bit tricky.

>> and (2) I don't know of any other function that does a dynwind behind
>> the scenes (IOW, let's not break the "rule of least surprise").

I meant "I don't know of a function that does a `dynwind_begin'
*alone*" (of course there are plenty of functions that do
`dynwind_begin' + `dynwind_end').

> I think you're imagining a clear boundary here where there isn't one.
> If needed, either the scm_dynwind would be inside
> scm_array_get_handle, or it would be inside scm_uniform_vector_read.
> Both of those are public libguile functions, so where's the
> difference?

The difference is that `scm_array_get_handle ()' is a low-level
function.  It may be used, say, in code that passes SRFI-4 vectors to C
that implements "performance-critical" code.  Adding consing in there
wouldn't feel right.

>> OTOH, it may be the case that people have been relied on the described
>> behavior, in which case it would be wiser to fix `scm_array_get_handle ()'
>> to conform to the manual...
>
> Note that scm_array_get_handle can itself throw an error, and so can
> the other APIs that return a handle to the caller.

That would suggest adding a `dynwind_begin'/`dynwind_end' pair, not a
`dynwind_begin' alone---but that is not actually needed, since none of
the callees of `scm_array_get_handle ()' can throw an error, except for
`scm_wrong_type_arg_msg ()' at the end.

> One more observation: we should take care when adding occurrences of
> scm_dynwind_begin (0) into code, because it prevents the enclosed code
> from capturing its continuation, returning, and then calling the
> continuation again later.  In this case, I wonder if there could be
> practical soft port implementations that would want to do this.  (I
> thought I had done it myself when writing (gui entry-port) for
> guile-gui, but in fact that only uses a continuation as an escape
> mechanism (i.e. for jumping back up the stack).)  On the other hand,
> if we use scm_dynwind_begin (SCM_F_DYNWIND_REWINDABLE), to allow a
> continuation to be called again from outside, that raises the question
> of what happens if the array in question has changed since the
> continuation was captured.

Right, I hadn't thought about it, but as you mention, a dynwind in
`uniform-vector-read!' will only affect soft port implementations.

Thanks,
Ludo'.