Re: development goals

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: development goals
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:57:33 -0300

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
>> You might construe that I would like to turn Guile development into
>> LilyPond development.  That is not necessarily the case, but I keep
>> misunderstanding what people expect in this community.  I am assuming
>> that developers in general are interested in a more lively and more
>> rapid evolution of Guile, but everytime I see habits and policies that
>> seem contrary to that goal.
>
> How many people fix bugs reported to `bug-guile'?  Believe me, spending
> time doing this makes you feel reluctant to large unmotivated changes.

Good point.  I've just added myself to that list.

>> Then again, with all the back & forth porting of changes between 1.8
>> and head, it's difficult to tell what is in 1.8 and what is not.
>
> Surely you'll enjoy it: we have an old-fashioned tradition of updating
> `NEWS' when changing something in a branch!  :-)

Well, yes, but we also have many commits that are identified as

  "Changes from Arch/CVS synchronization"

and

  "merge from 1.8"

I tend to look at development history with gitk.  I realize these
commits are from the CVS era, but it makes me loose track of what
is happening where.