Re: further guile-vm integration

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: further guile-vm integration
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:12:44 -0700

Hi,

On Fri 22 Aug 2008 12:23, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Besides, do you have an automatic compilation approach in mind (à la
> Python) or something explicit, possibly with source/binary time-stamp
> comparison?

I don't know really. Currently it's explicit. But automatic could be
interesting; you have to check timestamps anyway to see if the compiled
file is actually older than the source file, in which case you want to
warn and load the source file instead. But in general I would follow
emacs' lead in this regard.

> Did you benchmark the thing?  I remember speed improvements were not all
> that clear back when I played with Guile-VM.

I've been benchmarking, yes, and the advantages are now pretty clear, at
runtime, and the startup advantages are excellent. But I have yet to
compile boot-9.scm.

> Besides, before making a release, it may be worth thinking about
> potential GO format changes that we'd possibly want to make in the
> future.

Sure, definitely.

> One big thing I had in mind was the use of word-aligned
> bytecodes, which should improve performance on several architectures

Sure, would be a great thing to try.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/