Re: _GNU_SOURCE redundant define

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: _GNU_SOURCE redundant define
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:47:26 +0200

Hi Greg,

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

>> On NetBSD-current/amd64, the branch_release-1-8 branch fails to build.
>> _GNU_SOURCE is defined in config.h, and also in two files.  With the
>> following change, it builds and 'gmake check' succeeds.
>
> I have figured this out.  With autoconf 2.62 on NetBSD, several macros
> end up defining _GNU_SOURCE.  The following diff makes guile build for
> me (plus enables autobuild).  I'm not sure what the right fix is; it
> seems broken for AC_AIX to define _GNU_SOURCE at all, especially on
> NetBSD.  I'd be somewhat inclined to drop the three macros, and have
> adherents of AIX, ISC_POSIX, and MINIX find another way around if
> needed.

The "current Autoconf way" is to use `AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS' (also
available in 2.61) in lieu of these macros (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Obsolete-Macros.html)
and to never explicitly define the `_*_SOURCE' CPP macros.

I'll change that and test it ASAP.  In the meantime, the easiest way is
to use 2.61, or to remove the offending macro invocations.

Thanks,
Ludo'.