Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:04:10 -0300

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> Hi Han-Wen,
>
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've implemented an env var GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE (- some lilypond users
>> were complaining that running lily on large sets of files keeps
>> growing the heap forever, leading to trashing).
>
> Of course, the correct fix would be to help the GC be more reasonable,
> as it's currently somewhat broken:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/6699/focus=6832
>
> You could also try setting `GUILE_MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE' to a smaller value,
> as suggested there:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/6699/focus=6836

I'll have a think about this. Perhaps we can add a more stateful approach to
the GC thresholds.

>> Please comment on the patch; it's in branch dev/hanwen on
>> sv.git.gnu.org
>
> The patch contains mostly unrelated indentation changes, can you fix
> that?

Sure.

> Also, it gives me the impression that we've definitely lost control over
> the GC code, and we're adding yet another configuration variable to work
> around that.  :-(

I'm not against initing it automatically to something like RAM * 0.8 or
something, but that would run into portability issues.  In the end, the amount
of RAM available is something that the current GC does not factor in, so it
will happily grow the heap beyond that.