Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:35:37 +0200

Hi Han-Wen,

> I've implemented an env var GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE (- some lilypond users
> were complaining that running lily on large sets of files keeps
> growing the heap forever, leading to trashing).

Of course, the correct fix would be to help the GC be more reasonable,
as it's currently somewhat broken:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/6699/focus=6832

You could also try setting `GUILE_MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE' to a smaller value,
as suggested there:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/6699/focus=6836

> Please comment on the patch; it's in branch dev/hanwen on
> sv.git.gnu.org

The patch contains mostly unrelated indentation changes, can you fix
that?

Also, it gives me the impression that we've definitely lost control over
the GC code, and we're adding yet another configuration variable to work
around that.  :-(

Thanks,
Ludovic.